Instead of picking up donations from porches, volunteers will accept donations between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. at drop-off locations throughout Clark County.
“We haven’t ever done a class competition for Walk & Knock before,” Chase said, holding open a door as students carried overstuffed bags of canned food outside. “But we’re doing everything a little different this year.”
The class competition was a success, according to Conner Berg, a senior who has participated in Walk & Knock both as a Boy Scout and in school since he was in fifth grade.
“I would say this method has been even more successful than in years past,” he said. “The competition corresponded with spirit week, and I think people were really excited to be involved.”
Before heading to the Clark County Food Bank, Walk & Knock board member and former President Justin Wood, who helped organize the competition, inspected the piles of food.
“It looks like it’s a close battle between the freshmen and the sophomores,” he said.
The class that raised the most food will be announced today. The winners will receive a doughnut party and a plaque commemorating their efforts.
Wood said that he hopes the tradition will continue, and that future winning classes will be added to the large plaque.
“We want to keep this thing going,” he said.
People interested in donating to Walk & Knock today can bring nonperishable food and toiletries to any of the following locations:
- Chuck’s Produce – 2302 N.E. 117th St.
- Hudson’s Bay High School – 1601 E. McLoughlin Blvd.
- Living Hope Church – 2711 N.E. Andresen Road.
- Parkrose Hardware – 16509 S.E. First St.
- Walmart – 14505 N.E. Fourth Plain Blvd.
- Clark County Food Bank – 6502 N.E. 47th Ave.
- ERS Rental Group – 2305 S.E. Eighth St., Camas.
- Clark-Cowlitz Fire & Rescue Station 26 – 21609 N.E. 72nd Ave., Battle Ground.
- La Center bridge, in downtown La Center.
- View Ridge Middle School – 3215 S. Hillhurst Road, Ridgefield.
Additionally, donations will be accepted at Riverview Community Bank branches, Les Schwab Tire Centers and Cost Less Auto Parts locations until Dec. 10.
Financial donations will also be accepted online at walkandknock.org, and checks can be sent to P.O. Box 353, Vancouver, WA, 98666.
Article Source: The Columbian